Pet Poison Prevention and Treatment in Bluffton, SC

Pets are energetic and adventurous, which is one of their best qualities, but they may get into things they shouldn't. Hopefully, your pet has never swallowed anything that has resulted in an emergency, but it is always a good idea to be prepared since there are more than 232,000 incidents of pet poisoning in the United States each year. Many of them are caused by common home chemicals. Many objects in your cabinets, garage, yard, and even your handbag or backpack might be toxic to your pet. This allows curious cats and dogs easy access to potentially lethal things.


It is well worth the time and effort to ensure your pet does not eat harmful items. The following are some of the most frequent home products that are dangerous to pets:

  • Human/veterinary medications and prescriptions
  • Foods, especially garlic, onions, chocolate, grapes, and raisins
  • Household chemicals and cleaning supplies

Make a note of these objects so that you can keep them away from your pet. We recommend keeping them in a cupboard or other area that your pet cannot access.

It's also recommended to pay attention to these common areas your pet might be around:

  • Living rooms 
  • Kitchens
  • Bathrooms 
  • Garages
  • Outdoor areas

Poisoning symptoms in dogs and cats can vary greatly depending on the sort of poison they've experienced. Vomiting, breathing problems, and drooling are some of the most common symptoms.


If you suspect your pet has been poisoned, it’s important to stay calm, act fast, and think logically. First, acquire any information regarding what may have poisoned your pet; this will be extremely valuable to your veterinarian and any outside specialists who assist.

The treatment for a poisoned dog or cat is tailored to the poison and the symptoms. Don't use any home remedies or antidotes and do not attempt to make your pet vomit before consulting with a veterinarian in Bluffton, SC. While vomiting may be the best option, it could also be harmful, depending on what your pet consumes and what's going on in their body. If the poison is in the pet's fur, thoroughly wash them if you can do so safely. Your veterinarian at Fetch A Vet will be able to help you with the best course of action.

Some things you can do to protect your pet from eating something they shouldn't are: 

  • Keep emergency contact information readily accessible
  • Consult with your veterinarian about the best emergency plan for your pet
  • Learn about pet poisons and keep them out of reach

What is safe for people is not necessarily safe for pets, so if you suspect your pet has swallowed something harmful, contact your veterinarian at Fetch A Vet in Bluffton, SC as soon as possible rather than waiting until your pet exhibits serious symptoms.